[MITgcm-support] Parallel performance

Stefano Querin squerin at ogs.trieste.it
Thu Jun 16 09:17:49 EDT 2005

Hi Kevin,
I had similar problems when I ported the code from an IBM SP4 to a linux
cluster that seems similar to yours (Opteron 64, Rocks OS, Sun Grid Engine,
ethernet network). Basically the bad performances when using multiple procs
were due to I/O problems. SP4 has a very fast I/O scratch filesystem so I
could make the model read and write files on that disk without problems
(also using the GlobalFiles=.TRUE. option in PARM01 in the data file). The
same configuration on the new cluster using NFS filesystem gave rise to very
slow simulations. I solved the problem simply splitting the run on every
CPU: before the beginnig of the simulation I copy the input files and the
executable on each disk (via scp) then I start the run with
GlobalFiles=.FALSE. and, at the end of the simulation, I copy the output
back to the front-end node.
Are you using the GlobalFiles=.TRUE. option in PARM01 in the data file?
Maybe this is not the solution for your problem but a check on the I/O could
be useful!
Good luck!

Stefano

P.S.: updating the code to more recent versions is not so difficult and VERY
useful, I suggest you to try a newer checkpoint (lots of new features and
bugs fixed)!