[MITgcm-support] Pb with compilation: make:

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Jun 6 13:25:00 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 12:13 -0400, Nicolas Wienders wrote:
> >So, could you please send a little more information about your setup
> >including:
>
> > - the hardware, OS, and compiler that you're using (eg: 'uname -a')
>

>         Darwin ocnpc84.ocean.fsu.edu 7.9.0 Darwin Kernel Version
>         7.9.0:
>         Wed Mar 30 20:11:17 PST 2005;
>         root:xnu/xnu-517.12.7.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC
>         Power Macintosh powerpc (G5)
>
>  >- the exact commands (please copy-and-paste) that you used to try
>      to compile it
>
>         ../../../tools/genmake2 -mods=../code -
>         optfile ../../../tools/build_options/darwin_ppc_xlf_panther
>         make depend
>         make
>
>  >- the exact error (again, please copy-and-paste) message(s) that
>      you got
>
>         make: *** No rule to make target `<built-in>', needed by
>         `chksum_tiled.for'. Stop.

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for all the system information!  You're running on a Mac and
thats fine -- we have a few active MITgcm-on-Mac users/developers.

Unfortunately, I can't determine exactly whats causing that error
message.  I think it may be the "make" program or the Makefile syntax
but I'm just not sure.  Is there any way that I could get an account on
your Mac to test it?  Its probably something that can be diagnosed and
fixed in less than an hour if we have access.

And if I can't have an account, please try the following:

  1) Are you using Gnu make or "gmake"?  We strongly recommend Gnu
       make or gmake since its syntax is well-understood.

  2) Please verify that the optfile has the right settings for
       your Fortran compiler, libs, etc.

  3) Please email us a copy of your Makefile.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307