[MITgcm-support] compiling error in the latest sources of MITgcm on irix64!

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Jul 26 13:20:33 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 12:50 -0400, Van Thinh Nguyen wrote:

> I tried to update the old sources of MITgcm (using cvs update command),
> after that I re-compile my old model (this is compiled and ran (mpi)
> without any error by old sources), then I've got following error:
> ---
> ld64: ERROR   33 : Unresolved text symbol "timenow_" -- 1st referenced by timers.o.

> Anyone may know about this error, please give me an advice.

Hi Van Thinh,

The problem is that your Fortran compiler doesn't support the timenow()
function and there are at least two ways that you can fix it:

 1) quick and easy fix :  use the genmake2 "-ignoretime" option to
    turn off the timing code entirely -- MITgcm will run just
    fine (you will get correct results) but the information about
    how much time is spent in various subroutines will be useless

 2) difficult but more satisfying fix :  look at all the optfiles
    in MITgcm/tools/build_options and figure out which values of CC
    and FC_NAMEMANGLE will allow you to compile and call C code
    from your Fortran subroutines.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD