[MITgcm-support] Assembling NetCDF output

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Jul 21 20:13:25 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 16:13 -0700, Dmitri Leonov wrote:
> Has anybody used NCO or any other open-source tools to assemble the MNC
> output?
>
> I'm running the model on a cluster and trying to use ncview to look at
> the output.
> Is there a way to glue the tiles together without using matlab?
> (The manual says it can be done using NCO operators but it doesn't seem
> to work)

Hi Dmitri,

I routinely use NCO to concatenate MNC output along the temporal
dimension using the "ncrcat" utility.  But you mean "assemble" in the
spatial, not temporal, sense.  In that case, we have two scripts that
will spatially "assemble" MNC output but they are both written in
MatLAB, not as NCO scripts (sorry!).  The older one is modeled after
rdmds() and is located at:

  MITgcm/utils/matlab/rdmnc.m

The slightly newer one is located at:

  MITgcm/utils/matlab/mnc_assembly.m

and it works with domains that have both "rectangular" ("exch 1") tile
arrays and cube ("exch 2") topologies.

Also, I've read that Octave has a netCDF interface compatible with
MatLAB:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html#NCMEX

but have not (yet) had a chance to try it.  In theory, it should work.
If you have any luck with it please let us know!

thanks,
Ed

ps - One could implement an MNC assembly routine as a shell script (or
PERL or Python or ... program) that uses NCO calls.  We have not yet
done this but we would gladly accept any user-contributed scripts that
aid in that task or any related areas.

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307