[MITgcm-support] MPI Error

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Jul 20 21:07:10 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 23:08 +0630, Sandeep wrote:
>   I am trying to install the MITgcm (checkpoint 56), on a  Linux cluster. I
> was able to successfully compile and run in the single mode. While, in the
> parallel mode, the compilation was successful, but I get the following runtime
> error :

> Input/Output Error 177: Permission denied
>    In Procedure: eeboot_minimal
>         At Line: 1149
>       Statement: OPEN
>            Unit: 15
>            File: STDERR.0001

>     p4_error: latest msg from perror: Bad file descriptor
> rm_l_2_13508: (8.621691) net_send: could not write to fd=6, errno = 9
> rm_l_2_13508:  p4_error: net_send write: -1

> Any suggestions in this regard, would be of great help.

Hi Sandeep,

It looks like you have either (1) somehow mis-configured your MPI setup
(most likely its trying to write to non-existent locations) or (2) you
have incorrect file/directory permissions.  The errors above indicate
that you're unable to write to either stderr or stdout which is most
likely a permissions or non-existing-paths problem.

So please verify that all the used directories exist and then check that
you have the necessary write permissions within them.  And, it would
also be a very good idea to try running a simple "hello world"-type MPI
program to see that you have all your MPI bits installed and working
correctly.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD