[MITgcm-support] Re: Auto-discard notification

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Tue Jan 4 04:37:56 EST 2005

Hi Bin Zhao,

the way the "standard" ocean model is set up, it is volume, not mass
conserving, and it does not correctly include steric effects. However,
you can use the pressure coordinate version, which is fully
non-Boussinesq and thus mass conserving. In this mode all steric
effects are included (at the cost of some other features that have not
been implemented yet).

There is even a verification/example-experiment:
verification/global_ocean_pressure which shows you how to use the
non-Boussinesq model. I once wrote a small tutorial for this
experiment, but I cannot find it in the current documentation (does
anyone have an idea, where it went?).
Equations can be found in Marshall et al. Ocean-Atmosphere modelling
exploiting the p-z isomorphism and Losch etal. How Sensitive are Coarse
General Circulation Models to Fundamental Approximations in the
Equations of Motion? J. Phys. Oceanogr., 34(1): 306-319, 2004.

Things to watch out for in non-Boussinesq mode (pressure coordinates):
Eta is no longer SSH but bottom pressure anomaly
geopotential height g*z at the surface = SSH is stored in PHL.*.data
w is no longer vertical velocity but a pseudo-velocity dp/dt
GM/KPP and most other physical packages are not sorted out properly and
need some work, but there is no principal problem with those.

Hope that helps,
Martin