[MITgcm-support] periodic channel

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Sun Feb 27 15:47:19 EST 2005

Hi Yuan,

What I generally understand by "periodic boundary condition in longitude"
is: what leave (tracer or momentum) the domain at the eastern boundary
reenter at the western boundary ; and what leave at the western boundary
reenter at the eastern boundary. So that it appears as a periodic domain.
This works with MITgcm for any domain size in longitude (does not need
to be 360.degrees wide) with both cartesian and lat-long grids.

And the example that was mentioned in this response (In Jully 2004:
http://dev.mitgcm.org/pipermail/mitgcm-support/2004-July/002322.html
), the verification/aim.5l_Equatorial_Channel, is an atmospheric case
with periodic boundary condition in the longitude direction.

Hope this answer your question.

Jean-Michel