[MITgcm-support] Re: compiling MITgcm on Altrix - small problemHi Uli,

Patrick Heimbach heimbach at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 21 18:25:42 EST 2005

Hi Uli,

it might be that you're not using the compiler & libraries
that should be used for that machine.
Usually you'd have the Intel compiler (ifort/ifc).
In case you have this one installed, which version is it?

For version .LE. 7 see e.g. tools/build_options/linux_ia64_efc+mpi_altix
for version .GE. 8 see e.g. tools/build_options/linux_ia64_ifort+mpi_altix_nas

V8 doesn't require/have the PEPDF90 library, V7 (and below) does.

-Patrick

On Monday 21 February 2005 15:48, Ulrike Riemenschneider wrote:
  > Hi Patrick,
  >
  > I am also attempting to compile and run the MITgcm on an Altrix at GFDL.
  > The following commands seem to do the trick:
  >
  > %/bin/sh ../../../tools/genmake2 -bash=/bin/sh -mods=../code -mpi
  > %make depend
  > %make
  >
  > BUT right at the end - when mitgcmuv is being created it spits out the
  >
  > following error message:
  >  > ld: cannot find -lPEPDF90
  >  > make: *** [mitgcmuv] Error 1
  >
  > Any ideas who to mend this little problem??
  >
  > Thanks,
  > Uli
  >
  > Patrick Heimbach wrote:
  > > Hi there,
  > >
  > > getting the model to run on an Altix
  > > should not require a sys admin guy.
  > > It has been run on quite a few Altix systems.
  > >
  > > Only thing you need to know is
  > > * which compiler? (full path to compiler)
  > >   In case it's ifort (likely),  find out whether
  > >   is it version befor 8, or 8 onwards (usually apparent in path name)
  > > * which mpi?
  > >   (full path to lib/ and include/ directory)
  > >
  > > Then, take one of the optfiles on tools/build_options/ e.g.
  > > o linux_ia64_ifort+mpi_altix_nas (if it's ifort-8...)
  > > o linux_ia64_efc+mpi_altix (if it's ifort-7 or below)
  > > and customize these few variables to your Altix.
  > >
  > > Then compile, run, and send your sys-admin guy skiing :o)
  > >
  > > -Patrick

Patrick Heimbach     Massachusetts Institute of Technology
FON: +1/617/253-5259                    EAPS, Room 54-1518
FAX: +1/617/253-4464               77 Massachusetts Avenue
mailto:heimbach at mit.edu                 Cambridge MA 02139
http://www.mit.edu/~heimbach/                          USA