[MITgcm-support] Re: compiling MITgcm

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Feb 16 13:53:55 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 08:13 -1000, Kelvin Richards wrote:

> Thanks for your swift reply. I suspect it is our gcc and g77
> installation. I can't find the
> libg2c.so.0 library. I will get our guys to look into that.

Hi Kelvin,

Theres a very easy test: if you can create simple little "hello world"-
type programs that compile and run then your compiler install is
probably OK.  And if not, then you have a serious compiler install/setup
problem that has nothing to do with MITgcm.

> Regarding the Altix, our computer support person, Shinya, was looking
> into that and managed to get quite a bit further than I did. He left
> after I did last night and I will check with him when he gets in later
> today. In the meantime, when I try to run the Makefile I get the error
>
> ld: cannot find -lPEPCOF90
>
> If this is a relatively easy thing to fix let me know. If not I will
> send a full transcript and the Makefile, once I have talked to Shinya.

The quality of the help you'll get on this list is directly related to
the quality of your bug reports.

I asked you for a list (preferably a "cut-and-paste") of the commands
and error messages and you still aren't giving much useful information.
Things that would be very helpful are:

  - Which version of MITgcm are you using?
  - Which compiler(s) (and versions) are you trying to use?
  - Which optfile are you trying to use?  Has it been
    customized?  If so, how?
  - What was the *exact* sequence of commands you used
    to attempt the build?
  - What were the exact error messages?

Based on the error above, I'll *guess* that you're trying to use one of
the Intel compilers (there are many versions: ifort, ifc, and efc) and
that its not able to locate a library that you probably specified.
There are examples of "-lPEPCF90" libraries used in some of our
optfiles:

  MITgcm/tools/build_options/

but none of them specify a "-lPEPCOF90" as you describe.  So without
more information, we can only make wild guesses...

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307