[MITgcm-support] netcdf output

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Dec 15 14:19:53 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 13:26 -0500, Jaime Palter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Please excuse the message I just sent that was empty of new information.
> It was a slip of a few key strokes.

Hi Jamie,

No worries!

> I meant to write with a question about an error message produced when I
> run genmake.  It seems that genmake can't find the file mnc_id_header.h
> (and neither can I--it doesn't seem to exist).
>
> Is this file supposed to be created on the fly? If so, how can we ensure
> that it does so?

Yes!  This file is supposed to be created by genmake2 doing a "make"
within the directory "MITgcm/pkg/mnc".  You can get exactly the same
effect without genmake2 by running:

  cd MITgcm/pkg/mnc
  make

The fact that mnc_id_header.h doesn't exist indicates that you have some
other problem.  Perhaps you don't have netCDF installed on your system
(or it is installed but your compiler can't find the needed headers and
libs) and thus gremake2 is trying to tell you that netCDF isn't
installed.

If you have netCDF installed for your compiler and the correct headers
and libs are listed in your optfile (so that your compiler can indeed
find/use them), then everything should "just work".  So perhaps you need
to add the correct headers/libs to a custom optfile that you create for
your system/setup?

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD