[MITgcm-support] netcdf output (fwd)

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Dec 8 10:42:59 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 10:01 -0500, Jaime Palter wrote:
> Hello.  I have written before about storing the output as netcdf.  I have
> come back to the problem after working on a separate project for a while.
>
> I have enabled the mnc in packages.conf and this step seems to be working.
> My question is:
>
> Where does genmake look to find mnc and the local version of the netcdf
> libraries?  Where is this specified?

Hi Jamie,

The genmake2 utility "looks for netCDF" in the sense that it will try to
compile some very basic test-programs that contain netCDF calls using
the compiler that you specify in your optfile.  If the compilation of
those test-program(s) succeeds, then its likely that you have a
"working" version of the netCDF library installed for the particular
compiler.

So, the procedure of specifying "where to look" boils down to getting
the right INCLUDES and LIBS paths set for your compiler.  Please look at
the optfiles in the directory:

  MITgcm/tools/build_options

to see a number of examples.  And please feel free to create a custom
optfile and add INCLUDES/LIBS as necessary for your setup (eg. netCDF
install location).

And if you need help getting netCDF itself installed for your compilers,
please contact your local system admin(s), the netCDF web pages:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/

or, if all else fails, contact us and we might be able to help.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307