[MITgcm-support] temperature tendency equation

dwang at ldeo.columbia.edu dwang at ldeo.columbia.edu
Tue Dec 6 15:59:48 EST 2005

Hi...

I'd like to diagnose every term of temperature tendency equation averaged over a
period of time, say 10 days. There is a term which only applies to the surface
layer (I use linear implicit free-surface): theta * div(velocity vector), in
gad_calc_rhs.F it has the form like:

        gTracer(i,j,k,bi,bj)=gTracer(i,j,k,bi,bj)
     &   -_recip_hFacC(i,j,k,bi,bj)*recip_drF(k)*recip_rA(i,j,bi,bj)
     &     -localT(i,j)*( (uTrans(i+1,j)-uTrans(i,j))
     &                   +(vTrans(i,j+1)-vTrans(i,j))
     &                   +(rTransKp1(i,j)-rTrans(i,j))*rAdvFac
     &                  )*advFac
     &    )

This term is "nonlinear" in the sense that it's a product. It seems that I have
to save T/U/V/W at every tracer timestep in order to estimate its time average
(is this the correct way?). My question is, is there any better approach?

Thanks, D.W.