[MITgcm-support] Re: Starting with MITgcm

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at MIT.EDU
Fri Aug 19 11:30:07 EDT 2005

Hi Matej,

As Ed said, the verification experiments have matlab scripts that
describe preperation of input files.
For example, in
MITgcm / verification / exp5 / input / gendata.m
a surface forcing file is made:

Q=Qo*(1+0.01*rand([nx,ny]));

it is size [nx,ny]
if it were 3-d (e.g. and initial theta file) it would be size [nx,ny,nz]

then it is written with

fid=fopen('Qnet.circle','w','b');
fwrite(fid,Q,'real*8');
fclose(fid);

The data is written by fwrite down the matrix columns.

it is written translated into real*8 because the mitgcm data file given
in the verification experiment has
readBinaryPrec=64,

it is read in as a surface heating file by putting
# Input datasets
 &PARM05
 surfQfile='Qnet.circle',
 &
in the data file
other possible initial files you can give the model are (as seen in
MITgcm / model / src / ini_parms.F )
C--   Input files
      NAMELIST /PARM05/
     & bathyFile, topoFile,
     & hydrogThetaFile, hydrogSaltFile,
     & zonalWindFile, meridWindFile,
     & thetaClimFile, saltClimFile,
     & surfQfile, surfQnetFile, surfQswFile, EmPmRfile, saltFluxFile,
     & lambdaThetaFile, lambdaSaltFile,
     & uVelInitFile, vVelInitFile, pSurfInitFile,
     & dQdTFile, ploadFile,tCylIn,tCylOut,
     & eddyTauxFile, eddyTauyFile,
     & mdsioLocalDir,
     & the_run_name