[MITgcm-support] diagnostics package

jeff polton jpolton at ucsd.edu
Tue Apr 19 16:36:52 EDT 2005

After a conversation with Baylor I learnt the following in response to
this thread:

1) There is no list of formulae, as such, for the diagnostic package
output, since the routines spit out the diagnostics on the variables
you give it which can be called from anywhere in the code.
So you have to grep to find where "call write_diagnostics" appears and
see how the relevant variable is defined.

2) If you are using the flux limiting schemes and if you are bothered
about closing budgets and if you think there might be steep gradients
in your fields then it might be better to use velocities backed out of
fluxes rather than the uvel, vvel dumps because of the flux
corrections.

I hope I haven't misrepresented what Baylor said too much.

Jeff