[MITgcm-support] diagnostics package

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Thu Apr 7 18:10:27 EDT 2005

Hi Jeff,

You are right and there are few verification exemples that are
using pkg/diagnostics. The one you can look at is:
ideal_2D_oce/input/data.diagnostics
with:
>  frequency(4) = 20,
>   fields(1,4) = 'ADVy_TH ','ADVr_TH ',   <- advective fluxes of Temp
>                 'DIFy_TH ','DFrE_TH ',   <- diffusive fluxes of Temp.
>                 'DFrI_TH ',              <- diffusive fluxes of Temp.
>#                'ADVx_SLT',
>   filename(4) = 'flxDiag',

that will write time-average fluxes (as computed by the advection scheme)
to the file: flxDiag.
Note that:
1) those outputs are already multiplied by the grid-cell cross area
 (e.g.: ADVy_TH = vT * dx*dz)
2) you will need to add the zonal advective flux: 'ADVx_TH '
  (not here since it's a 2D lat x depth set-up, with no salinity)
3) frequency is specified as an iteration number.

Jean-Michel