[MITgcm-support] Arctic configuration

Jinlun Zhang zhang at apl.washington.edu
Wed Sep 29 15:31:30 EDT 2004

Samar,

After we coupled the sea ice model into MITgcm, I did a rough arctic
configuration with about 40 km resolution. I got pretty decent sea ice, in a
nice agreement with obs. pattern. The ocean circulation is pretty good too, with
a nice Beaufort Grye. But I have not analyzed the results in detail. For a
regional model, the key is open boundary conditions. I have not put a handling
of ice open boundary into MITgcm yet (planning to do it at some point), however,
a good ocean o.b.c would alleviate the problem of lacking ice o.b.c. You might
also want to do a domain rotation to let model equator goes thru, preferably,
the north pole. But make sure using actual latitude to calculate the Coriolis
force.

Jinlun

samar khatiwala wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am considering doing some simulations for the Arctic region and
> was wondering if anyone has been using the MIT GCM for this
> purpose. If so, I would be interested in learning more about
> your configuration and experiences.
>
> Thanks
>
> Samar
>
> Oceanography 201B
> Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory
> Columbia University
> Palisades, NY 10964
> voice (845)-365-8454
> Fax   (845)-365-8736
>
> Department of Applied Physics and Applied Mathematics
> Mudd 292C
> Columbia University
> voice (212)-854-8111

Jinlun Zhang
Polar Science Center, Applied Physics Laboratory
University of Washington      Phone: (206)-543-5569
1013 NE 40th St               Fax:   (206)-616-3142
Seattle, WA 98105-6698        Email: zhang at apl.washington.edu
http://psc.apl.washington.edu/student/IDAO