[MITgcm-support] A simple question about MITgcm

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Sep 27 15:28:57 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 12:59, Yuan Lian wrote:
> Hi, Songjie,
>
> Use "which makedepend" to check if you have installed it, typically
> makedepend is under directory "/usr/X11R6/bin/", if you can't find it, you
> can simply use makedepend under directory "/MITgcm/tools/cyrus-imapd-makedepend".
> I have never tried this but it should work. For NetCDF parts, refer to
> Ed's message in MITgcm-support Archives on Sep 24.
>
> -Yuan

Hi Yuan and Songjie,

Yuan is correct about the makedepend options and there are actually a
total of three possibilities:

  1) a system-wide makedepend ("which makedepend")

  2) a C version in MITgcm/tools/cyrus-imapd-makedepend which
     can be built with the commands:

      $  cd MITgcm/tools/cyrus-imapd-makedepend
      $  ./configure
      $  make

  3) the shell-script version: MITgcm/tools/xmakedepend

that genmake2 will prefer in the order listed above.

In terms of global_ocean.90x40x15 failing, that is because NetCDF is not
installed for your compiler.  The directions for installing NetCDF are:

  http://mitgcm.org/pipermail/mitgcm-support/2004-September/002589.html

As of today (just a few hours ago!), genmake2 has been modified so that
it will automatically turn off the mnc (NetCDF for MITgcm) package when
netcdf is not installed.  If you get the very latest code from CVS, you
can use this new feature.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD