[MITgcm-support] OBCS sponge and prescribe code checked in

Patrick Heimbach heimbach at MIT.EDU
Mon Sep 20 19:38:48 EDT 2004

Hi Martin, Uli, and others,

I've just checked in code in pkg/obcs/ that
* ALLOW_OBCS_PRESCRIBE allows prescibing time-dependent obcs values,
* ALLOW_OBCS_SPONGE sponge layers
* ALLOW_OBCS_BALANCE rudimentary balancing of normal barotropic flow

tag is checkpoint55a_post

The stuff I checked in at least doesn't break
the existing verif.'s that use obcs ;o)
The code has been / is used in a few open boundary setups,
it compiles ok, but no guarantee that the merging may have
broken some of the new stuff.
Any feedback on bugs, improvements etc are welcome.

One feature/caveat is that the time-dependent prescibe
runs in conjunction with exf, cal., i.e.
S/R OBCS_CALC calls S/R EXF_GETOBCS
If someone wants to volunteer to call
external_fields_load alternatively, please.

The files read are
xz files (northern, southern boundary)
yz files (eastern, western boundary)

I've put a few "template" CPP options and runtime parameter files under
http://mitgcm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/MITgcm_contrib/heimbach/obcs_prescribe/

A verif. experiment will hopefully come soon.

-Patrick