[MITgcm-support] Re: OBCS

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Tue Oct 26 02:55:11 EDT 2004

Hi Jake,

thanks for your answer.
I do have the open boundaries on the outermost grid-points (so only 1's
and -1's in the data.obcs), so that the corners are part of both open
boundaries (both zonal and meridional ones). The physical solution
indeed does not look affected by these large |w|-values in the corners.
I don't use the CD-scheme. I think all exchanges are now correct in the
current code. At least I have run an experiment with 4 tile vs 1 tile
and they all gave the same results.

I do use the passive tracer package, though, for which there are no
open boundaries implemented. I am worried about the passive tracers
being affected by the strange w-values on the boundaries. But I guess
my real problem is the fact, that passive tracers are treated with
periodic boundaries while U,V,T,S are not. So I'll have to do something
about that.

Martin