[MITgcm-support] obcs/exf interactions

Alistair Adcroft adcroft at mit.edu
Fri Oct 8 15:16:59 EDT 2004

Several answers to several questions:

I've sorted out other descrepancies between the runs and now have
established that the line appears due to the old set-up; when running
for longer the line is visible in the surface flow in level 1 of the old
set-up but not visible deeper down until later. It is not apparent in
pressure. I suspect it is a difference in stress near the ice-edge. The
discrepancy between the runs is detectable earlier on when looking at
the difference maps, which is what I was doing at first. I suspect the
bugs that DM mentioned are in the older run.

In the longer runs, the straight line does not remain straight for very
long.

I didn't use the pickups because the checkpoint.F seems very different
and I'm not sure if they are compatible; unfortunately we don't have
version numbers in the pickup files and the version of pickup file
involves the tag name on the main branch and not ecco branch. We'll have
to sort that out if you want to use existing pickup files; I believe
some recent changes to pickups will make that harder than it sounds.
We'll need JMC's help on that front.

A.

Tom Haine wrote:
> Jinlun, Alistair,
>
> Barotropic modes are forced by windstress variability so I'm not very
> surprised there's evidence in 300m velocities of the ice edge. In some
> animations I occasionally see hints of it.
>
> Alistair, are your figures from iteration 41400 or so?  I guess you
> start from iter=0 when the ice edge is much sharper (yes, I realize I'm
> the source of all that's not beautiful in the MITgcm!). Maybe this
> explains your result?  If you start from iter=41400 maybe your velocity
> anomalies will have the smooth, natural-looking curves of my ice edge at
> that time?
>
> We should clearly favor the new pkg/seaice solver.
>
> Tom.
>

> On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 15:42, Jinlun Zhang wrote:
>
>>Tom,
>>The results look good to me, no straight line here. Ice model runs ok even with some
>>bugs. Not sure why a straight line would show up at 300m and looks like using the
>>bug-fixed solver would not help.
>>Jinlun
>>

>>Tom Haine wrote:
>>

>>>Jinlun,
>>>
>>>Attached are figures of various surface fields, forcing fields, and ice
>>>fields from close to the time Alistair is starting his integrations.
>>>These results are from the old code.
>>>
>>>I guess pkg/exf changes (presumably in the stress computation) might
>>>explain the difference Alistair sees, although I don't know why they
>>>would be concentrated at the ice edge.
>>>
>>>Tom.

Dr Alistair Adcroft            http://www.mit.edu/~adcroft
MIT Climate Modeling Initiative        tel: (617) 253-5938
EAPS 54-1624,  77 Massachusetts Ave,  Cambridge,  MA,  USA