[MITgcm-support] Problem with OBCS prescribe and Orlanski

cimatori at libero.it cimatori at libero.it
Thu Nov 18 06:00:56 EST 2004

Hi, we are trying to set up a model for the diffusion of sewage from a deep pipe in a gulf; for that
reason we are using ptracers, obcs and exf.
We have an open western boundary with Orlanski, and an eastern open boundary with OBCS
prescribe.
To make this work, we changed obcs_calc.F, as you could not use Orlanski and prescribe together
before, and we split exf_get_obcs in west, south, for the same reason (see the attachments). We
also changed the obcs_apply*.F as we want only a deep source on the east:

obcs_apply_uv.F
C     Set model variables to OB values on East/West Boundaries
#ifdef ALLOW_OBCS_EAST
CA-----------------------------------
       if (K.EQ.21) then
CA-----------------------------------
      DO J=1-Oly,sNy+Oly
C Eastern boundary
       IF (OB_Ie(J,bi,bj).NE.0) THEN
        uFld(OB_Ie(J,bi,bj),J,K,bi,bj)=OBEu(J,K,bi,bj)
     &                              *_maskW(OB_Ie(J,bi,bj),J,K,bi,bj)
        vFld(OB_Ie(J,bi,bj),J,K,bi,bj)=OBEv(J,K,bi,bj)
     &                              *_maskS(OB_Ie(J,bi,bj),J,K,bi,bj)
        uFld(OB_Ie(J,bi,bj)+1,J,K,bi,bj)=OBEu(J,K,bi,bj)
     &                              *_maskW(OB_Ie(J,bi,bj),J,K,bi,bj)
       ENDIF
      ENDDO
CA-------------------------
       endif
#endif

Now we get negative w velocities at the top of the columns interested by the eastern OBCS, and
this has no physical reason (there's no heavy water above, and no negative w around). After
24hours or so, model starts to put out NaNs.
Any idea?
Thanks,
Andrea Cimatoribus

Libero ADSL: navighi gratis a 1.2 Mega, senza canone e costi di attivazione.
Abbonati subito su http://www.libero.it