[MITgcm-support] MITgcm

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sat May 29 13:35:15 EDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-29 at 12:26, chav0055 wrote:

> Just wanted to let you know that I am one of the people interested in using
> your model for my studies. I have been trying to run experiment 2 using the
> information provided in the user mannual but I am getting error messages.
> Could you please assist?

Hi Geoffry,

Thanks for sending the email.  I'll try to assist with your build
problems.

> 1. For the step just before the 'make depend', I get the following message:
>
> 'Getting local config information: none found'

> 'Getting OPTFILE Information
>
> Warning: no OPTFILE specified so we'll look for possible settings'

It would be helpful if you provided more specific error messages
(cutting and pasting the exact errors is the best).  In any case, it
sounds like you need to build an "options file" for your platform.  The
best way to do that is to copy one of the existing options files in:

  MITgcm/tools/build_options/

and modify it to suit your particular system (that is, the combination
of hardware, OS, and compiler).  We routinely build and run MITgcm on a
variety of Unix and Unix-like OSes:

  http://mitgcm.org/testing.html

so it shouldn't be too much trouble to configure it for your system.

> 2. Typing 'make depend' gives me a 'no match' message whereas typing
> 'makedepend' gets through without any problem. What is the difference
> between the two commands?

The "make depend" and "makedepend" commands are two very different
creatures.  The former invokes the "make" command to perform a whole
slew of operations as specified by your Makefile.  The latter is just a
single command that checks the dependencies for whatever files you give
it (which is probably none in your case).

So please specify the kind of system that you're working on (is it
Linux?  Unix?  Cygwin?  MacOS?), the F77 compiler you intend to use, and
we can make some headway.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD