[MITgcm-support] Negative salinities

Sergio Jaramillo sju at eos.ubc.ca
Fri May 21 20:47:55 EDT 2004

Dear MITgcm support,

I just noticed that the salinity field that I get from my runs is going
negative like -1.5e+139!. Why could this be? I only input sRef=32*35,
and I do all the stratification using the temperature profile. I also
have set sBeta=0.  Also I didn't have this problem before , when I used
an older version of the model (like a year ago, v1.15 according to
find_rho.F ).

Finally I find this in find_rho.F:

#ifdef CHECK_SALINITY_FOR_NEGATIVE_VALUES
      CALL LOOK_FOR_NEG_SALINITY( bi, bj, iMin, iMax, jMin, jMax,  k,
     &     sFld, myThid )
#endif

Should I define this in CPP_OPTIONS.h?

Thanks a lot,