[MITgcm-support] /verification/exp2

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun May 2 17:13:06 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 08:38, prosperi at wicc.weizmann.ac.il wrote:
> Hi,
> My name is Davide Prosperi a PhD. student at Weizmann Institute od Science
> (Israel). I am trying to compile the /verification/exp2.
> I am working on OSF1 V5.1 2650 alpha so I choose the osf1_alpha_f77 to
> generate the Makefile.
> Everything seems to work fine but when I exeute the make dommand I got
> this.

Hi Davide!

> g77 -Wimplicit -Wunused -O -Wuninitialized -c mdsio_reclen.F
> mdsio_reclen.F: In function `mds_reclen':
> mdsio_reclen.F:29:
>           MDS_RECLEN=WORDLENGTH*nnn
>                      ^
> Invalid declaration of or reference to symbol `wordlength' at (^)
> [initially seen at (^)]
> mdsio_reclen.F:6: warning: `mds_reclen__' might be used uninitialized in
> this function
> *** Exit 1
> Stop.
>
> So it seem that cpp is not activated or not working properly..

Yes, something does seem to be wrong with your cpp.  Can you determine
whether its Gnu cpp or a "vendor" cpp?  The "cpp --version" command
might help but I think it only works with Gnu cpp.

> When I execute
>
> /usr/bin/cpp - P -DWORDLENGTH=4 -c mdsio_reclen.F -o mdsio_reclen.f

OK, this is odd.  I'm curious about the space between the dash and the
capital "P" ("- P") since perhaps that isn't the right syntax.

Please try the following:

  cd MITgcm/verification/exp2
  mkdir build
  cd build
  ../../../tools/genmake2  \
    -of=../../../tools/build_options/osf1_alpha_g77  \
    -mods=../code
  make depend
  make

and the same but with:

  ../../../tools/genmake2  \
    -of=../../../tools/build_options/osf1_alpha_f77  \
    -mods=../code

Will either one work?  If both fail, then it looks like we'll have to
create a custom "optfile" for your system.  The easiest way to do that
is to start with one of the existing optfiles (I'd use "osf1_alpha_g77")
and then modify it.  The first thing I'd try is to change the line that
reads:

  CPP='/usr/bin/cpp -P'

so that it has just:

  CPP='cpp -P'

or

  CPP='cpp'

and see if that helps.  If not, send us an email with the output from
the above sequence and we'll try to hunt down the specific problem.

good luck!
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD