[MITgcm-support] Re: mitgcm flt pkg modifications

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Jun 10 12:19:18 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 05:22, Antti Westerlund wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have been working on the float package for MITgcm for a while now at
> the Finnish Institute of Marine Research. My instructor Tapani Stipa has
> encouraged me to send my modifications to the main model code. Lately I
> have also been in contact with Sergio Jaramillo, who has done partially
> similar modifications to the package as I have (especially float 3D
> movement). Below as a reminder I attached your message to Sergio from
> the MITgcm-support mailing list written in April.
>
> We agreed with Sergio, that I would merge our modifications and submit
> them to the model (as he is very busy right now). With that in mind I
> decided to contact you and inquire how to proceed? Currently we have
> several code fragments and bug fixes that I think are ready to be
> submitted. Several other pieces of code need at least some extra work
> before they can be sent, but I think we can get started with the stuff
> that is known to be working.
>
> So, should I send you the modified files, or would it be better to send
> just the modifications (or perhaps the output from the program diff)?
> Anything else I should know?

Hi Antti,

Thanks, we'd be thrilled to have your updates/modifications!

To get your code added, all we have to do is:

  1) show that it works with the very latest version of MITgcm
     currently in CVS (that is, it works for your example problem
     and it doesn't break any of our other verification tests)

  2) then check the code into CVS

  3) then add your example to testreport so that it will
     become part of our standard verification suite

Probably the quickest way to do this is for you to send your code
modifications (either by email or put them in a tar file on the web), an
example input data set (preferably a small example), and a very brief
description of how to use them.  I'll then do steps 1--3 and will ask
for help as necessary.

Would that be OK for you?

thanks again!
Ed