[MITgcm-support] Potential density - ignore previous message

Sergio Jaramillo sju at eos.ubc.ca
Thu Jun 3 13:11:48 EDT 2004

Martin ,

Sorry about my last message, I was still too sleepy, the only thing that
is true from it is the values of rho, rhonil, and tAlpha, that tRef is
not what I use!. Now, what you say is:

rho_reference= rhoNil*(1+tAlpha*tRef(z)),

then the refernce density is proportional to the temperature?

what I was doing actually was using the linear equation of state
(Turner,1973):

rho = rhoNil*(1+sBeta*S - tAlpha*T)

then, T= (rhoNil - rho)/(tAlpha*rhoNil);

and using this for the input tRef. Here density~-T, which was more
intuitive for me. But I have that doubt about the tAlpha increased one
order of magnitude just to have the model running.

Again sorry for the big mess.

Sergio