[MITgcm-support] Diapycnal mixing

Alistair Adcroft adcroft at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 22 10:34:43 EDT 2004

Matt,

It's unclear from you message whether you meant you want to make the GM or
Redi parameters variable in 3D or even if you wanted to use the Redi scheme
to rotate the "diapycnal" flux to make it normal to isopycnals.  The latter
is non-trivial and would require calculating the full Redi tensor and
generalizing it handle the normal flux components.

However, if you simply meant you want to use the GM/Redi parameterization in
conjuction with your 3D variable mixing then you should be all set -
assuming that you "added" your 3D mixing coefficients rather than overwrote
them the vertical contributions from GM/Redi will be handled correctly; we
coded it to accumulate contributions from different schemes.

A.
--
Dr Alistair Adcroft            http://www.mit.edu/~adcroft
MIT Climate Modeling Initiative        tel: (617) 253-5938
EAPS 54-1624,  77 Massachusetts Ave,  Cambridge,  MA,  USA

-----Original Message-----
From: mitgcm-support-bounces at mitgcm.org
[mailto:mitgcm-support-bounces at mitgcm.org] On Behalf Of Matt Palmer
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 12:14 PM
To: MITgcm-support at mitgcm.org
Subject: [MITgcm-support] Diapycnal mixing

Hi there.

I'm working with Jochem Marotzke on the meridional overturning
circulation of the Indian Ocean, using the MIT model.

I managed to modify the model code to have a fully 3-D veritcal mixing
field and I want to do something similar, but using the GMRedi package.
At the moment, my modifications are in "calc_diffusivity.F". If I want
to specify the diapycnal mixing, do I need to do this in the Redi mixing
tensor?

I've looked through the model code, but I can't see where would be the
best place to add my 3-D diapycnal mixing field. It had occured to me
that perhaps I could just use the diapycnal mixing approximately by
including the 3-D mixing in "calc_diffusivity.F", after the GMRedi
subroutines have been called (using the KappaRT and KappRS variables). I
would be making the approximation that the diapycnal mixing is mostly
oriented in the vertical.

Any comments and/or suggestions about how to proceed would be gratefully
recieved.

Many thanks,

Matt Palmer