[MITgcm-support] Hello!

quero_s at libero.it quero_s at libero.it
Tue Jan 27 08:12:54 EST 2004

> On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 06:53, quero_s at libero.it wrote:
> > Dear Sirs,
> > I am Stefano Querin and I work at OGS (Istituto Nazionale di Oceanografia e di Geofisica Sperimentale, Trieste, Italy). My activity is aimed to develop a high resolution numerical model for the Gulf of Trieste (North-Eastern appendix of the Adriatic Sea) to obtain short term oceanographic forecasts.
> > For this purpose I (with the people I work with!) chose to use the MITgcm model.
> > For the moment (using the Release1_patch8 version of the code) we created a realistic bathymetry of the gulf and made some tests for wind driven circulation problems (vertical mixing, coastal upwelling...) using the KPP parametrization.
> > Now, I'm focusing my attention on OBCs. I tested on a simple box-shaped domain closed, periodic, double-periodic and radiative (using Orlanski) boundary conditions. I tested succesfully also uniform and constant active BC editing the obcs_calc.F file.
> > My problem is to make the model read non uniform and time-dependent BC from external files to obtain one-way nesting with larger coarse-resolution models.
> > I thought that the best way to obtain that, is to activate the exf package, but, even if I followed the suggestions in the README file, I still encountered problems during compilation and run-time (I run the model on a parallel SP4 machine). Now I am updating my version to the checkpoint52 one, as suggested by Dr. Hill some days ago on the mitgcm-support mailing-list. Is this the best version to solve that kind of problems?
>

> Hi Stefano,
>
> Please try the following version:
>
>   $ export CVSROOT=':pserver:cvsanon at mitgcm.org:/u/gcmpack'
>   $ cvs login
>     ( enter the CVS password: "cvsanon" )
>   $ cvs co -r 'checkpoint52e_pre' MITgcm
>
> MITgcm does build and run on Power4 SP clusters as shown in recent runs
> of our verification suite:
>
> http://mitgcm.org/testing.html
> http://dev.mitgcm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/MITgcm_contrib/test_scripts/ncar/
>
> Due to some quirks in the AIX environment, you will probably have to
> explicitly specify both the "optfile" and the location of GNU make using
> commands such as:
>
>   cd verification
>   ./testreport -make gmake -of=../tools/build_options/sp4
>
> If you run into build problems please send them to this list and I'll
> help you work through them.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Ed

Hi Ed,
thank you for the suggestions. I installed succesfully the 'checkpoint52e_pre' version of the code. After some little adjustments, I built the code succesfully and repeated the runs made with the release1_p8 version. As specified in the previous mail, I have made runs with periodic, radiative and constant active BCs. My problem now is to make the model read external BC files. In the source files I saw this option: there is mention, for example, to 'OBNuFile' (northern boundary u velocity), in both the obcs and the exf packages. Even if I activate these packages, during runtime the executable seems not to read the BC file (as specified in data.obcs).
Of course, there can be many causes for this problem and I think it would be very long to explain all the tests (many...) I made to try to solve the problem. Briefly, I ask you if someone has tested succesfully this feature: make the model read time and space dependent BC from external files (in my case, these files should be output files from a larger nesting model). Is there a simple way to implement this feature or do I need to edit the source code?

Thanks,

Stefano