[MITgcm-support] Hello!

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Jan 20 07:44:09 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 06:53, quero_s at libero.it wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
> I am Stefano Querin and I work at OGS (Istituto Nazionale di Oceanografia e di Geofisica Sperimentale, Trieste, Italy). My activity is aimed to develop a high resolution numerical model for the Gulf of Trieste (North-Eastern appendix of the Adriatic Sea) to obtain short term oceanographic forecasts.
> For this purpose I (with the people I work with!) chose to use the MITgcm model.
> For the moment (using the Release1_patch8 version of the code) we created a realistic bathymetry of the gulf and made some tests for wind driven circulation problems (vertical mixing, coastal upwelling...) using the KPP parametrization.
> Now, I'm focusing my attention on OBCs. I tested on a simple box-shaped domain closed, periodic, double-periodic and radiative (using Orlanski) boundary conditions. I tested succesfully also uniform and constant active BC editing the obcs_calc.F file.
> My problem is to make the model read non uniform and time-dependent BC from external files to obtain one-way nesting with larger coarse-resolution models.
> I thought that the best way to obtain that, is to activate the exf package, but, even if I followed the suggestions in the README file, I still encountered problems during compilation and run-time (I run the model on a parallel SP4 machine). Now I am updating my version to the checkpoint52 one, as suggested by Dr. Hill some days ago on the mitgcm-support mailing-list. Is this the best version to solve that kind of problems?

Hi Stefano,

Please try the following version:

  $ export CVSROOT=':pserver:cvsanon at mitgcm.org:/u/gcmpack'
  $ cvs login
    ( enter the CVS password: "cvsanon" )
  $ cvs co -r 'checkpoint52e_pre' MITgcm

MITgcm does build and run on Power4 SP clusters as shown in recent runs
of our verification suite:

http://mitgcm.org/testing.html
http://dev.mitgcm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/MITgcm_contrib/test_scripts/ncar/

Due to some quirks in the AIX environment, you will probably have to
explicitly specify both the "optfile" and the location of GNU make using
commands such as:

  cd verification
  ./testreport -make gmake -of=../tools/build_options/sp4

If you run into build problems please send them to this list and I'll
help you work through them.

Good luck!

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com