[MITgcm-support] Hello!

quero_s at libero.it quero_s at libero.it
Tue Jan 20 06:53:16 EST 2004

Dear Sirs,
I am Stefano Querin and I work at OGS (Istituto Nazionale di Oceanografia e di Geofisica Sperimentale, Trieste, Italy). My activity is aimed to develop a high resolution numerical model for the Gulf of Trieste (North-Eastern appendix of the Adriatic Sea) to obtain short term oceanographic forecasts.
For this purpose I (with the people I work with!) chose to use the MITgcm model.
For the moment (using the Release1_patch8 version of the code) we created a realistic bathymetry of the gulf and made some tests for wind driven circulation problems (vertical mixing, coastal upwelling...) using the KPP parametrization.
Now, I'm focusing my attention on OBCs. I tested on a simple box-shaped domain closed, periodic, double-periodic and radiative (using Orlanski) boundary conditions. I tested succesfully also uniform and constant active BC editing the obcs_calc.F file.
My problem is to make the model read non uniform and time-dependent BC from external files to obtain one-way nesting with larger coarse-resolution models.
I thought that the best way to obtain that, is to activate the exf package, but, even if I followed the suggestions in the README file, I still encountered problems during compilation and run-time (I run the model on a parallel SP4 machine). Now I am updating my version to the checkpoint52 one, as suggested by Dr. Hill some days ago on the mitgcm-support mailing-list. Is this the best version to solve that kind of problems?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely,

Stefano Querin