[MITgcm-support] SIZE.h

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Feb 20 10:44:52 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 10:24, Michael Schaferkotter wrote:
> greetings:
>
> i downloaded the CVS sources and followed instructions in develop_HOWTO.pdf.
> i got past genmake2 and make depend.
>
> on make, i get an error message about SIZE.h
>
> [schaferk at chinook bin]$ vi SIZE.h
>
>       1 C $Header: /u/gcmpack/MITgcm/model/inc/SIZE.h,v 1.26 2001/09/21 15:13:31 cnh Exp $      2 C $Name:  $
>       3
>       4   These lines are here to deliberately cause a compile-time error.
>       5   If you see these lines in your .F files or the compiler shows them
>       6   as an error then it means you have not placed your configuration
>       7   files in the appropriate place.
>       8   You need to place you own copy of SIZE.h in the include
>       9   path for the model.
>

> the Makefile has
>
>      68 INCLUDES = -I.
>
> the current directory has SIZE.h (soft link created by the script)
>
> [schaferk at chinook bin]$ ls SIZE.h
> SIZE.h@
>

> so i don/t know what else to do here.
>
> also, in following the instructions to build, i/m not sure why i would even be thinking of SIZE.h at this point.

Hi Michael,

Until we (eventually) move to a language that allows for dynamic memory
allocation, the MITgcm model will, unfortunately, need to be re-compiled
for each individual problem.  Thats why you're seeing this warning in
the default SIZE.h file.

Please take a look at the experiments in MITgcm/verification/ which are
each structured in the following manner:

  MITgcm/verification/${EXP_NAME}/code
                                  input

where the "code" directory contains the local modifications (including
the local copy of SIZE.h) and the "input" directory contains input
files.  By reading and following the examples in the on-line manual that
detail these experiments:

  http://mitgcm.org/sealion/online_documents/node83.html
  http://mitgcm.org/sealion/online_documents/node104.html

you will get a step-by-step introduction to the process of building and
using the code.

If you find errors in or are confused by the manual, please send us an
email and we'll fix and/or explain it!

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com