[MITgcm-support] cubed sphere for Atmospheric models

Yuan Lian lian at U.Arizona.EDU
Mon Dec 20 18:02:56 EST 2004

Hi,

I had some problems to make cubed sphere working properly for atmospheric
models. I can run hs94.cs-32x32x5 without any problems, even
hs94.cs-64x64x5 will work. I tried to run another atmospheric model which
works fine with spherical coordinates. However extreme values came out at
second time step if I use cubed sphere. The resolution I used is 32X32X25.

I switched spherical coordinates to cubed sphere since I thought cube
sphere will handle the polar regions better. I am wondering if anyone
had the same experience. Should the cubed sphere have less numerical
probelms than spherical coordinates?

Thanks for all the help!

-Yuan