[MITgcm-support] phiHydLow

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Tue Aug 17 02:45:22 EDT 2004

Hi,
because of the isomorphism implemented in the code, phiHyd is NOT
pressure, but a potential function. In formulas (latex) it's:
\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial r} = b
where r is the vertical coordinate (height or pressure) and b is the
"generalized buoyancy". If r=z (height coordinates, your case), b
becomes the SCALED density g\rho/\rho_{0}. (In fact, it's the scaled
density anomaly g(\rho-rho_{0})/\rho_{0}). The factor of \rho_{0} or
reference density should not (and does not, I checked that once) change
the result (except for numerical round off). So when you backout
pressure from phiHyd, you have to multiply by \rho_{0}, which you have
specified in your data file (rho_{0}=rhoConst) or use the default
999.8. This will give you the pressure anomaly. For the full pressure
(in which you are probably not really interested), you'll have to add
the constant density contribution -g\rho_{0}z.

The same is true for phiHydLow, of course. So
P_{b} = phiHydLow*rhoConst + g*rhoConst*H
is the full bottom pressure, there first term is the contribution that
you are most likely interested in.
And yes, I do recommend using the online formula, because it is
correct. If your offline formula gives different results, it is most
likely inconsistent with the model discretization/choice of parameters
or whatever there is that can go wrong. Because we are dealing with
large numbers, small change make a big difference.

Martin