[MITgcm-support] Freshwater_flux

Stefano Querin squerin at ogs.trieste.it
Thu Aug 12 08:47:27 EDT 2004

Hi Petter,
I also have this kind of problem. I'm making experiments on a basin (the
Gulf of Trieste) with an OB (S-W edge) and with a river freshwater input on
the northern corner. I made some preliminar tests using a simplified domain
(rectangular with flat bottom) to see if there is a simple but realistic way
to simulate a river: it would seem rather trivial but I simply 'digged' a
channel on the earth points and made this channel reach the boundary of the
domain. Then I imposed active, time varying OBCs on that boundary (T, S, v
(no u component, because the channel is perpendicular to the northern
boundary)). In this way, I could control T, S and the velocity of the river
(in particular, velocity decreased with the depth of the channel in a
parabolic-like way); I think that this may be useful if one is interested
not only in the thermohaline characteristics of the river input but also in
the momentum of the current (sub or super-critical flow in the channel...).
The OB point (the spring of the river) can also be placed inside the domain,
just some grid cells before the mouth, in order to get a stable vertical
velocity profile. I noted that, when a closed domain is used, the volume
increase is due to the river runoff (I used nonlinFreeSurf=0). I still have
to make some tests about the thermohaline variations. I made all these runs
using the checkpoint52e_pre version of the code with the corrected versions
of the mdsio_slice routines. I think that, using these mdsio routines, it
should work also with the r1b1 version (no guarantees about that!).
Let me know what do you think about this solution, and, of course, if it
works on your version of the code!
Regards,

Stefano