[MITgcm-support] more questions about sea ice

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Mon Apr 26 09:29:52 EDT 2004

Hi,
Dimitris, this is probably specifically addressed to you.
What are the policies regarding the sea-ice model? Did you aim at using
as little information from the main code as possible, e.g. grid and
masking information? I noticed that the masks maskC are not used
anywhere, so that for example, after calling the seaice model, theta is
no longer zero over land (doesn't matter, but is ugly), because it is
not masked in growth.F.
All grid parameters are computed in seaice_init.F from the grid
parameters of the ocean models, instead of adopting the ocean model
grid parameters (I know it's a different grid, but still all fields
could be applied properly). Is this intentional in the sense you didn't
want to change the sea ice model too much or didn't want any
interference or is it just because it  was quicker and less error prone
that way (which I could perfectly understand, because adi and lsr are
difficult to read, and I wouldn't like to have to modify these
routines)?

inquisitively,