[MITgcm-support] tension and strain vs vorticity and divergence

Sergio Jaramillo sju at eos.ubc.ca
Thu Apr 22 20:51:00 EDT 2004

Hi Ed,

Thanks a lot for the help. I did what you told me and the float package
works fine under genmake2. The problem was that I made modifications to
include 3D floats, and those needed some fixing. I think now is working
fine. I am trying to set up now the parallel run, I hope I have no more
problems with the modifications I made.

Also, I am using the invariant form of the momentum equations, and  I
would like to know if is possible to get some directions to know when to
calculate the dissipation in terms of vorticity and divergence, and when
to do it in terms of tension and strain, and in this last case how can I
set the values for viscAstrain and viscAtension. I think it has
something to do with cases when the viscosity is not isotropic but I am
not sure.

Thanks again,

Sergio Jaramillo
UBC