[MITgcm-support] Re: question about seaice coupling to oceanvelocities

Dimitris Menemenlis menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Apr 22 13:23:44 EDT 2004

Chris, I am copying your last message to Jinlun.

> Also ( bravely showing my ignorance  once again), if this is a
> reference flow, it would seem like you might want a time averaged
> field here that  would have  filtered
>
> o internal gravity waves
>
> o intertial motions
>
> Would it make sense to pass in a uReference, vReference which
> would be determined by a separate routine? I'm sure we could come
> up with some parameters to optimize then too!

The 70-m velocity is a proxy for surface geostrophic flow.  The
Ekman component is supposed to be part of the ice-bottom drag
coefficient parameterization.  That's why we don't include it.
The other extreme would be to have such high vertical resolution
that one resolves the logarithmic surface layer, as is the case for the
ice-surface drag.

Not sure what would be the optimal uReference and vReference for
sea-ice?  There is some recent work that suggests that intertial
motions are an important forcing term for sea-ice.  But again, I
am not sure that the viscous-plastic parameterization, as formulated
right now, can get this right.

Jinlun are my assumptions about origin of drag coefficient
parameterizations correct?  Any thoughts on Chris' suggestions?

D.

--
Dimitris Menemenlis <menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov>
Jet Propulsion Lab, California Insitute of Technology