[MITgcm-support] Re: question about seaice coupling to ocean velocities

Dimitris Menemenlis menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Apr 22 10:46:27 EDT 2004

Hi Jinlun, Martin just sent in following question.  Can we change
reference velocity to some fixed depth, could also be a variable
depth, right below KPPhbl.  What do you think?

> Hi,
> I may have asked this before, but couldn't find the answers (if there
> where any) in the email archives:
> What's the reason for using the third level (k=3) velocities
> u/vVel(i,j,3,bi,bj) as "proxy for geostrophic velocities" in
> seaice_model.F? It is reasonalbe to assume that only the 3rd level
> velocities excert stress on the sea ice from below? If you are willing
> to accept that the surface velocities are too noisy to be used,
> shouldn't the k-level be connected to a certain depth and not to a hard
> coded k-level? I mean, in a coarse model with, say, 50-70m layer
> thickeness (as in global_ocean_90x40x15 and derivatives) this will have
> a completely different effect from a model with resolves the surface
> layers rather well (say 10m in the upper 100m). What's the rationale
> behind the choice of k=3?
>
> Martin

Martin, my take on this is that it is just a quick-and-dirty estimate of
surface geostrophic velocity and that it would make more sense to
connect the k-level to a certain depth and not to a hard-code the
k-level.  What's needed is velocity right below or near the bottom of
the Ekman layer.

D.

--
Dimitris Menemenlis <menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov>
Jet Propulsion Lab, California Insitute of Technology