[MITgcm-support] shortwave, water type and calendar package

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Sun Apr 18 13:42:15 EDT 2004

Hi,
I am trying to run the MITgcm with dynamic seaice and climatological
forcing (12 monthly mean records). All sorts of problem pop up but most
prominently the model stalls with an address error in swfrac.F. The
reason is that with seaice you need the exf-package and consequently
the cal-package; then swfrac calls cal_getMonthsRec, which for my
parameter settings (theCalendar='model') screws up and returns
count0=0, so that the statement jwtype=jerl(count0) is not defined
(jerl is defined as "integer jerl(12)", so count0 should range from 1
to 12).
Now, I could go ahead and check, why cal_getMonthsRec gives the wrong
answer (and I will try to do that, but mainly because this routine also
screws up in different place). But before I do that I would like
someone to explain to my why jerl (which obviously has to do with 12
months) is a globally uniform constant. Does the water type (and
consequently the absorption properties of sea water) change uniformly
over the globe over the year? Hard to believe, but I have to admit that
I don't know much about this water type business.
I would think that I would make more sense to remove the call to
cal_getMonthsRec from swfrac by default and have the water type be a
global constant. If someone wants to include some dependence on the
season (I guess biological production is a candidate that could change
the water type), it can be done for the specific problem.
Any thoughts on this? Where am I wrong?