[MITgcm-support] geostrophic velocity in the model

Dimitris Menemenlis menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Apr 15 19:17:46 EDT 2004

Martin, thanks for reply.  The request was not for me but for
a PostDoc, Sab Kim, who is working with us, and he already has
a routine for computing geostrophic velocity based on ETA and T/S.

Also Ichiro has clarified the issue for me.  Because of the hydrostatic
approximation used in the model, ETA "is" the correct
reference to use for computing pressure at each depth, as you
have done in your matlab function to compute geostrophic currents.

Cheers, Dimitris

--
Dimitris Menemenlis <menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov>
Jet Propulsion Lab, California Insitute of Technology