[MITgcm-support] mitgcm on cygwin

Tapani.Stipa at fimr.fi Tapani.Stipa at fimr.fi
Mon Apr 5 08:36:21 EDT 2004

Hi, Dimitris.

That's right, cygwin is a bit tricky. In default configuration, genmake
produces a makefile that overwrites the .F files during cpp (a windows
feature: .F and .f are the same). There is no way to mend this on the
cygwin side, as far as I can tell. I keep forgetting this and find myself
rewriting a few patches every now and then. :-)

The cure with the old genmake was fairly straightforward: I modified it to
produce *.for files instead of *.f in cpp, and the problem was solved. The
compiler options are essentially similar to those on g77+linux. I have
attached the modified genmake. Unfortunately, I have not done this for
genmake2 yet. I can have a look at it tomorrow but I do not mind if someone
is faster.

There is another catch as well: filenames and directories such as "aux" are
illegal. One such directory is at least in the float package, and cvs
checkout always stops there. The only cure I now is to change the name of
the directory in cvs to something that DOS/Windows does not consider
reserved. There is a thread on this issue in Cygwin FAQ or mail archives.

Let me know about your progress with Cygwin, I prefer doing a lot of the
code browsing locally on my laptop and need Cygwin for the compilation.

Cheers,

Tapani
--
Tapani Stipa;                         Scientist, Ph.D.
Merentutkimuslaitos:                 Finnish Institute of Marine Research

|+-------------------------+----------------------------------------------|
||   Dimitris Menemenlis   |                                              |
||   <menemenlis at jpl.nasa.g|           To:        mitgcm                  |
||   ov>                   |   <MITgcm-support at mitgcm.org>, Tapani Stipa  |
||                         |   <Tapani.Stipa at fimr.fi>                     |
||   2004-04-03 16:10      |           cc:                                |
||   Please respond to     |           Subject:        RE:                |
||   menemenlis            |   [MITgcm-support] mitgcm on cygwin          |
||                         |                                              |

Hi Tapani, I am trying to run the MIT GCM using cygwin
but run into trouble because cygwin does not discriminate
between *.F and *.f files.  Chris tells me that you have
been able to succesfully run the MIT GCM using cygwin.
What's the trick?

Cheers, D.

--
Dimitris Menemenlis <menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov>
Jet Propulsion Lab, California Insitute of Technology