[MITgcm-support] Re: kpp_transport_ptr

Dimitris Menemenlis menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Sep 24 16:40:55 EDT 2003

> 30 tracers, that sound very much like Keith Moore's biogeochemistry
> model. Did you actually couple that model into the MITgcm? I use a
> little less elaborate model (only 12 tracers), and I am using
> Stephanie's GCHEM interface. Do you use that, too?

Hi Martin, the 30-tracer set-up is for computing surface tracer Green's
function for a project led by Gruber:
quercus.igpp.ucla.edu/OceanInversion/
I don't use and biogeochemistry.  Just passive tracers released from
different regions.

> I have to ask you again about the kpp_transport_ptr:
> This routine computes the flux due to the non-local counter-gradient
> transport. From the Large-etal1994 paper I cannot understand, whether
> surfaceTendencyPtr represents the surface flux of pTracer of the value
> of pTracer in the surface layer. I assume the former, is that true?

surfaceTendencyPtr represents the surface flux of pTracer divided by the
depth of the surface layer, so that means that it has the same units as
gPtr.  Specifically if the units of the tracer are mol/m^3, the surface
flux is mol/m^2/s, surfaceTendencyPtr would have units of mol/m^3/s

D.

--
Dimitris Menemenlis <menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov>
Jet Propulsion Lab, California Insitute of Technology