[MITgcm-support] more KPP blues, maybe related?

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Mon Oct 27 08:26:04 EST 2003

Chris,

I was about to write an email. I think I have localized the problem,
but I haven't fixed it. It doesn't have anything to do with KPP but
with the equation of state. And as usual, I am to blame for all the
trouble:
The problem only occurs with I use
eosType='MDJWF',
so the super-duper new, latest, fantastic EOS by McDougall et al.
(2003), but it's not the equation of state itself but probably alpha
(in find_alpha), that's wrong. And since find_alpha/beta is only called
from somewhere within kpp_routines.F and nobody ever uses MDJWF
together with KPP (probably nobody every uses MDJWF to begin with,
there's no test case for it), nobody has ever had the problem. I am
glad that I am only responsible for my loss of time.

I'll try to fix the problem (it's probably just a wrong coefficient or
so) and then you can decide when or if I can check it in.

Martin