[MITgcm-support] convection problem

Mike Spall mspall at whoi.edu
Tue Oct 21 09:56:10 EDT 2003

Alistair solved the convection problem for me this morning.  I had
initialized salinity to 35.0 and did not specify a surface E-P or
salt climatology, but I did not comment out  tauSaltClimRelax.  I
mistakenly thought that salinity would remain constant but, lacking
a specified SSS the model restores surface salinity to zero.  So, the
model was not convecting because the surface was too fresh.  As usual,
the problem is clear once you see it.  Thanks for your help.

Mike

Michael A. Spall
Department of Physical Oceanography
W.H.O.I. MS #21