[MITgcm-support] [MITgcm Manual] section 3.11.3 Experiment Configuration

Dimitris Menemenlis menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Oct 14 13:35:38 EDT 2003

Manoj, the ECCO estimates are better than model output.  They
incorporate a very large complement of ocean data.  The products are not
yet perfect of course but they are a good start for your work.

There are two main products to look at.  The first is a 1-deg
adjoint-method estimation product.  This is the product called ECCO 1,
Adjoint 1x1 grid (1992-2002) on the LAS server
(http://www.ecco-group.org/las/main.pl).

The second product is a higher-resolution (1/3-deg meridionally in the
tropics) called ECCO 2, Assimilation (Kalman Filter) 1993-present on the
LAS server (http://www.ecco-group.org/las/main.pl).

For working with the actual data, as opposed to a quick look, you may
want to use the DODS servers instead.  The first product is at
http://sio.ecco-group.org/cgi-bin/nph-dods/datasets/glb_1x1_92_02_iter69/
files iter69u.cdf and iter69v.cdf

The second product is at
http://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/nph-dods/datasets/kf047a/
Because of the higher resolution the files are split by year and season
in order to fit the 2-GB netcdf limit.  A final option for transferring
the data is to use rsync: http://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/external/rsync.php

Dimitris

--
Dimitris Menemenlis <menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov>
Jet Propulsion Lab, California Insitute of Technology