[Mitgcm-support] RE: Release1 branch

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:51:06 EDT 2003

alistair,

 i really don't understand what we are gaining from the new release1 branch?

 it doesn't have the patches we definitely want to carry over that were made
between
 c43 and c44 (about 29,000 lines of diff output!). these were all already
merged into release1-branch.
 they include shapiro updates, changes to GM, fixes for compatability with
TAF etc...

 the things that are in c44 that are not on release1-branch are mostly
tangent-linear
 options. these have not been tested much yet, so they have been left out
conciously. however,
 they could be included if we need them and we can test them.

 branch release1 also doesn't include the tutorial examples.

 to fix these things you're going to have to add the tutorials and merge in
the extra changes.
 both these steps have already been done on relese1-branch and it has
undergone an extensive
 rigourous two-day schedule by hill inc. software testing labs :-). it seems
like a big
 waste of time for you to have to do this again.

 can't i just create a release1-beta2 tag on release1-branch and admit that
 the branch release1 was a dumb and stupid idea. if we want to have a tag
called
 release1-branch-branchpoint on the "MAIN" tree we can do that too.

 it seems like you'll need to spend a lot time just to make it look like
 release1-beta1 was on release1-branch. i don't think anyone will ever care
 either way will they?

chris