[Mitgcm-support] RE: SunOS5.7

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:50:50 EDT 2003

Hi Mark,

 Linux is probably the easiest option. Thats what we use here in the
development group and its what most people are moving toward. The Redhat
linux distributions (RH7,8,9) with the GNU, Intel or Portland group
compilers are what we use on a daily basis. That said the code should
compile on SunOS with a few tweaks to the make file generating script,
genmake. I have three suggestions for the SunOS side if you have time to
keep trying

 1. Take the code direct from the CVS tree. This is described in the
on-line documentation. You have to learn a couple of new tricks but once
you know these it makes it a bit easier to see what you have done
etc....

 2. Check with Martin Losch (I'm cc'ing him). He was recently doing
MITgcm work on Sun machines with some OS. He may recognize the compiler
flags that need tweaking. If we're lucky Martin may have a block of
settings that can go into the MITgcm genmake script that will work with
your version of SunOS and your compiler revision.

 3. Try using the gnu compilers under SunOS if you have them.

Chris Hill