[Mitgcm-support] Re: Lopped cells

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:48:25 EDT 2003

Hi Alistair,

sorry for my answer, but I'm currently at the WOCE YI Workshop in
Boulder.
Now to your questions:

> Would you mind telling me what the last attempts involved (regards lopped
> cells). There were these issues about initialization (switching lopped cells
> on suddenly etc.) and I forget exactly what you had and hadn't tried.

I made some runs with the NA model, but I had to set very small
timesteps (60s).
After introducing the new biharmonic discretization I was able to
increase that to 120s and ran the global model at least a few days.
Because the timesteps were too small I skipped the lopped cells. You can
find some of my configurations at the (not actual) websites
 http://www.ecco.ucsd.edu/internal/atl/ecco_atl6_test.html and
ecco_glo6_test.html).

> Scripts
> =======
>
> I like the html document you have up about the data processing scripts.
> Are the versions in "internal/mitgcmuv/scripts/" up to date (ie. the
> latest versions you use)? I'd like you to put them under CVS on server
> (I'll give you access) so that we can start maintaining versions.
> hfac.m needs to be brought up to date with the model, for instance.

The scripts and the html document are not up to date. But if you want I
cold correct these (I should always do that) and send you actual
versions.

> Caribbean
> =========
>
> I have a question from Terry Joyce to you about the deep circulation in
> the Caribbean. He pointed to a paper by Holloway where he uses his
> Neptune parameterization and with it he gets a deep reaching cyclonic
> rim current and not without. Could you make a current map at about
> 1600m of the Caribbean to show what we get? I suspect we won't
> have anything but who knows.

I will do that after my return (or maybe earlier). Any certain
coordinates, parameters?

Ciao,
	Arne

--

Dr. Arne Biastoch
Physical Oceanography Research Group       phone: +1-858-822-3787
MS: 0230                                   email: abiastoch at ucsd.edu
8605 La Jolla Shores Dr.
La Jolla, CA 92093-0230, U.S.A.   http://www.ecco.ucsd.edu/~biastoch