[Mitgcm-support] Re: checkpoint35

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:46:31 EDT 2003

I changed  "ou2" and formatting.

> Note  genmake -rootdir=../../.. is broken.

Fixed.

>      shouldn't the search for rootdir be based on the
>      locations of the genmake file. e.g.

I was thinking that genmake *might* ultimately end up being installed
else where (e.g. $HOME/bin). We could easily add the path to
genmake to the scan list.

checkpoint35 is now available. It contains a number of
changes aimed to help future development plans.

Summary of changes:
===================
dynamics.F has been substantially re-written:
  c1. the time-stepping is no longer unrolled. This means that
      uVel, vVel, wVel, theta and salt contain the state variables
      at time=myCurrentTime for the entire span of dynamics.F
  c2. the staggered gravity wave time-stepping algorithm of the
      "classic" MITgcm can be enabled with a run-time flag
      called "staggerTimeStep" which by default is false.
  c3. added global 3-D arrays for wVel

calc_mom_rhs.F
  c4. something was not right with no-slip BCs over topography
      when using implicitViscosity
  c5. added linear and quadratic bottom drag terms
      (bottomDragLinear, bottomDragQuadratic)

Open Boundaries:
  c6. have been packaged
  c7. Orlanski code incorporated

Other new packages:
  c8. Shapiro filter
  c9. Zonal filters
 c10. Atmospheric intermediate physics (AIM) (Franco Molteni)

New Features:
 nf1. support for adding alternate time-stepping methods/advection
      schemes
 nf2. sets the stage for vector invariant form of equations
 nf3. simplifies implementing cubic spherical grid
 nf4. sets stage for reducing memory usage by half
 nf5. new genmake options

Outstanding issues: