[Mitgcm-support] checkpoint35

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:41:27 EDT 2003

Anyone else ready to make checkpoint 35?

Can we compose a summary of what's happened between c34 and c35?

I'm working down here again tomorrow but will in be on Thurs.

Chris - will we have a sensitivity test to add?

A.

Here's a start...
=========================

Announcing the new and improved checkpoint35!

Summary of changes:

dynamics.F has been substantially re-written:
 o the time-stepping is no longer unrolled. This means that
   uVel, vVel, wVel, theta and salt contain the state variables
   at time=myCurrentTime for the entire span of dynamics.F
 o the staggered gravity wave time-stepping algorithm of the
   "classic" model can be enabled with a run-time flag (staggerTimeStep)
 o added global 3-D arrays for wVel
calc_mom_rhs.F
 o something was not right with no-slip BCs over topography
   when using implicitViscosity
 o added linear and quadratic bottom drag terms
    (bottomDragLinear, bottomDragQuadratic)
Open Boundaries:
 o have been packaged
 o Orlanski code incorporated
Other new packages:
 o Shapiro filter
 o Zonal filters
 o Atmospheric intermediate physics (AIM) (Franco Molteni)

Advantages:
 + facilitates different time-stepping methods/advection schemes
 + sets the stage for vector invariant form of equations
 + simplifies implementing cubic spherical grid
 + sets stage for reducing memory usage by half

Known problems:
 - GM/Redi and KPP use more memory than necessary (fix known)
 - adjoint oops! (work needed)